If you’re strolling down Fort Duquesne Boulevard this weekend and happen to cross paths with a red fox, dragon or unicorn, don’t be alarmed: you haven’t fallen down the rabbit hole. You’re just having a close encounter with a few fursuited friends who are in town for Anthrocon’s 22nd annual convention.
Anthrocon 2018, which will be held July 5-8 at the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in downtown Pittsburgh, is expected to draw more than 6,000 fursuiters from 34 different countries.
This year, Anthrocon is celebrating “movie monsters” and will spotlight two special guests of honor: Len Simon, a renowned Hollywood animator and Ursula Vernon, a Hugo and Nebula award-winning fantasy author.
Furries will build up their appetites as they rave, dance and play games at the convention center.
And do furries ever love to eat! Especially at Pizza Parma — Pittsburgh’s favorite spot for hoagies, wings, wraps, salad, and, of course, saucy pizzas!
But all that sauce can pose a problem. Like the rest of us “yinzers,” furries sometimes get a little carried away during a pizza-feeding frenzy. (Hey, it’s tough not having thumbs!) Spilling a little tomato sauce on a squirrel suit happens to the best of us. But not to worry. There’s an easy solution for “redding up” most pizza stains.
How to get pizza sauce out of your furry costume
- Gently scrape off any residue that’s stuck to your fur.
- Lightly dab the stain outwards with a sponge that’s been moistened with cold water.
- Rub a little lemon or lime juice on the stain and then apply a touch of stain remover. Wait for 15 minutes, flush the stain with cool water and let the clothing dry in the sun.
- Finish up by washing the clothing normally. Handwashing is always the best and safest method for washing faux fur. Add two capfuls of gentle laundry soap to a cold water washtub. Gently agitate the water and costume in the water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- Rinse under cold water until soap reside is removed.
- Never wring. Let air dry, then fluff the fur. And presto! Your fur suit is spiffed up for another night out on the Golden Triangle!
Welcome to Pittsburgh and happy eating, Furry Nation!
Pizza Parma is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner and has locations in downtown Pittsburgh, Shadyside and Upper St. Clair. The culinary masterminds at Pizza Parma use only the freshest ingredients for all the items on the eatery’s mouthwatering menu.
If this is your first Anthrocon, you’re in for a special treat. This highly popular furry convention brings together professional sports mascots, animators, cartoonists, puppeteers, artists, writers and anyone else who enjoys imagining what it would be like if animals could walk, talk and eat like we do.